Tuesday 20 April 2010

Perspective

Hey everyone. I know I haven't written in awhile and I'm sorry about that. You may be disappointed with this entry because it doesn't have any shiny pictures or tales of new adventures but it does have a little of my American soul in it.

Today I went to see a movie. Phil has signed both of us up for a pass that lets us see all the films we want to at the theater for less than the cost of two a month. I went to see a film that I wasn't expecting much from but was shocked beyond belief.

I figured I could use my pass to go see all the chick flicks that Phil wouldn't have any interest in seeing while he was at work. Today I started with Remember Me. I know you're thinking "Not that Rob Patterson crap". I wasn't expecting anything profound, I just wanted to pass some time outside of my flat. I had no idea what it was about going into the film and I'll tell you right now that you may not want to read on if you plan on seeing it and don't want the surprise spoiled.

I remember sitting down at the beginning of the film and thinking happily to myself that I was going to get my American fix (by that I mean hear the accent, see some of the landscape, culture, etc.). I got way more than I bargained for. It turned out that it was a nine eleven film and it doesn't even give you a clue until the very end at which point I promptly burst into tears and started sobbing.

I don't cry at chick flicks. I don't and I feel like Nicholas Sparks and Allen Coulter took a cheap shot. Well cheap shot or not, it sent tears running from my eyes like there was a fire and they didn't want to get evaporated. It totally took me by surprise and I just couldn't stop. I had to run past the janitor with my hand over my nose hiding the water works after everyone else had left the theater. Thanks goodness I went to see the movie alone!

No, I didn't know anyone who died in 9/11 and I obviously wasn't there but we all were. We all felt the blow that day and this movie took me back there and put me in that classroom at Providence High School where I watched it all on the news in tears then just like I was at the end of this movie.

Its something that will never leave me, an American, no matter what country I travel to and seeing that film and feeling all those feelings again made long for people who understand. I miss feeling that togetherness and the bond of a common culture with a common past.

I didn't write this as a 'woe is me' cry. I wrote this because I'm hollow with homesickness and needed to let it out. Nine years ago a tradgedy brought Americans together. Remembering from a country so far away is intensely sobering and I couldn't keep it inside.

Thanks for listening everyone. I promise a far more upbeat entry next week. I miss and love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment